Friday, April 11, 2014

Spring!

Ah! The welcome sight, sounds and feels, of Spring!  So refreshing after that long, cold, bitter winter we're recovering from.  Of course, with Spring comes Easter.  Yay!  

This year, I'm trying to get away from plastic eggs, plastic grass, plastic baskets full of candy, and junk in general.  Hey, I grew up with all of that stuff and I turned out just fine.  This year I  just want something more. . .lasting. 

Of course it wouldn't be a proper Easter celebrations without baskets full of goodies.  I just had to figure out what I felt was "good".  Here's what I came up with.

First, the baskets.  These baskets are from a company in Africa, the proceeds go to help mothers raise their children and make a better life for themselves and their families.  They are called blessing baskets.  I got mine from Bella Luna Toys.

IMG_4068

I like that the baskets are so vibrantly colorful, the swinging handles, and that they are so versatile.  I also like that at the bottom of each basket is the artist's name and assigned number.  The kids and I were able to go online and track our basket.  From when it was made to when it shipped to our house.  The kids thought that this was incredible!  

To fill the baskets, we're growing wheat grass in pots to nestle our goodies in.  That way, after Easter, maybe even long after Spring, we'll be able to "mow" our grass and use it in smoothies for some extra nutrition.  Two good things in one!

Next, I needed eggs.  Trying to abstain from the cheap, plastic, throw-away kind, I found painted wooden eggs on Etsy.  Mine are from a wonderful seller, The Indigo Forest.  She has lots of lovely Waldorf-inspired stuff.  

Easter Eggs

While I was there shopping, I also picked up some little felted geodes and a couple of play silks that the kids have already made good use of.  Everything came in it's own little muslin bag which was wonderful.  

 IMG_4074

IMG_4069

This week, I'm working on making several little knitted acorns.  Ideally, I'd like to make at least a dozen or so for each child.  All different colors of course.  We'll see how many I actually get done.  I have two so far.  

IMG_4077

Of course, I would be remiss to not include a chocolate bunny in everyone's basket.  Especially mine!  What great things are going in your Easter baskets this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment