Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Secret Is Out!

The last day of school is tomorrow, which means I can finally share the Super Secret Project with you.

Mrs.D's Quilt


Ta-Da!!  It's a quilt for Chickadee's second grade teacher.  If you've been reading along for awhile you might remember the quilt I made for her first grade teacher.  I swore after that one that I would only do it again for a first year teacher or a retiring teacher.  And even then only if the teacher was really special.  Darned if the girl didn't get a brand new teacher this year.  To make matters worse, I really like her.  She student taught in Chickadee's first grade class and we were so excited when we found out that she was going to be with us for second grade.  So I had to make a quilt.


Mrs. D's Quilt
Back of the quilt.

This year I had the kids do self portraits with fabric dye sticks.  They look like oil pastels but are permanent.  They are fantastic.  The kids all did a great job too.  I framed each portrait in a semi-wonky star.  It was tricky since my star points were made with rectangles instead of the traditional squares, but I like how it turned out.  I used the Little Apples line by Aneela Hoey.  When I quilted it I wanted it to have a more whimsical feel so I outlined the stars in loopy doodles.  It really makes the quilt. 


Mrs.D's Quilt

Mrs.D's Quilt

Mrs. D's Quilt
Little Apple Binding

Mrs. D's Quilt
Doodles


 I know that Mrs.D is going to love this quilt.  I took the colors from the bulletin boards in her room.  Plus I sort of stalked her just a little bit on Pinterest.  I'm a little sad that I won't get to see it anymore but I know that it's going to have the most wonderful home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment